Extra Bold is the inclusive, practical, and informative (design) career guide for everyone!Part textbook and part comic book, zine, manifesto, survival guide, and self-help manual, Extra Bold is filled with stories and ideas that don't show up in other career books or design overviews.
- Both pragmatic and inquisitive, the book explores power structures in the workplace and how to navigate them.
- Interviews showcase people at different stages of their careers.
- Biographical sketches explore individuals marginalized by sexism, racism, and ableism.
- Practical guides cover everything from starting out, to wage gaps, coming out at work, cover letters, mentoring, and more.
A new take on the design canon.
- Opens with critical essays that rethink design principles and practices through theories of feminism, anti-racism, inclusion, and nonbinary thinking.
- Features interviews, essays, typefaces, and projects from dozens of contributors with a variety of racial and ethnic backgrounds, abilities, gender identities, and positions of economic and social privilege.
- Adds new voices to the dominant design canon.
Written collaboratively by a diverse team of authors, with original, handcrafted illustrations by Jennifer Tobias that bring warmth, happiness, humor, and narrative depth to the book. Extra Bold is written by Ellen Lupton ( Thinking with Type), Farah Kafei, Jennifer Tobias, Josh A. Halstead, Kaleena Sales, Leslie Xia, and Valentina Vergara.